Michelle Bonton on Leadership & Living a Purpose-Driven Life
Rhodes School for the Performing Arts is proud to feature Founder and Superintendent Michelle Bonton in this month’s blog article.
As a Houston middle-schooler, Michelle Bonton knew she would one day start a school of her own. She couldn’t have known that the path to founding RSPA in 2007 would include having three wonderful children, and serving as a teacher, school counselor, assistant principal, and principal.
Fortunately, these experiences led Bonton to recognize her purpose in life to positively impact the lives of children. Here at RSPA, that purpose is manifested by Bonton’s efforts to continually foster a school culture that produces critical thinkers with strong leadership skills and sound character.
One of the underlying themes at Rhodes School for the Performing Arts is the open dialogue with students about always striving to take personal responsibility for their own success. By sharing their gifts through community performance, students learn early on that different art forms have tremendous economic value and should be developed throughout one’s entire life.
Michelle Bonton’s Education & Accomplishments
Bonton holds a:
- Bachelor’s degree in professional writing from University of Houston-Downtown.
- Master’s in counseling from Prairie View A&M University.
She is actively pursuing her Master’s of School Leadership at Stephen F. Austin University.
Bonton is extremely active in the community, and has several notable accomplishments:
- Greater Houston Black Chamber of Commerce 2016 Pinnacle Award Winner
- Board Member, Texas Charter Schools Association
- Board Member, Lake Houston Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Greater Houston Partnership
- Member, Texas Association of Black School Educators
- Education Policy Specialist – District 142, (volunteered 30+ hours/week during the session) 84th Legislative Session
- Host – The Principal’s Office – Education Radio Talk Show (Radio One Network – FM 103.7 – 2013)
- Policy Analyst – Fox 26 – Houston (2013)
- Founder/Superintendent – The Rhodes School, a Public Charter School
- Founder and CEO of The Education Valet, Inc., an Educational Consulting and Program services corporation
Michelle Bonton’s Press Mentions
Due to her involvement in the local, regional, and national community, Bonton is regularly featured in the press.
In the Winter 2018 edition of Lake Houston Business Matters, Bonton had a write-up titled Follow the Leader that explored her background and current mission.
Shortly after Hurricane Harvey in 2017, the Dallas News quoted Bonton regarding the role of schools in supporting displaced students and staff. Along those same lines, Bonton was quoted by the National Charter School Resource Center about working with FEMA as a school leader.
In 2016, the Houston Chronicle published a highlight of Pinnacle Winners, and pointed out that for Michelle Bonton, “the opportunity to affect children’s lives in a meaningful way is what drives her and her business.”
Michelle Bonton leaves us with a quote that embodies her spirit as an educator and leader here at Rhodes. “I’m here to serve.”